Below are handbooks developed by CCRH for tenants living in Section 8 and HUD housing. If you have additional questions about any of these issues, contact Cristina Trujillo.
Section 8 Opt Outs and HUD Prepayments
- If you live in a HUD-subsidized property, your complex may be at-risk for opting out or prepaying. Some owners are eligible to end the Section 8 program (called opting out) or pay off the subsidized mortgage (called prepaying) , and when they do this the rent subsidy programs that keep rents low end. But tenants have important protections! Give us a call to learn more.
Tenant Resources Links
- National Alliance of HUD Tenants
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
- As a HUD tenant, you have important rights and responsibilities. Visit HUD’s tenants’ rights website atHUD’s Tenant’s Rights Website.
- Not sure who’s who at HUD? HUD’s Key Staff Directory
- Need a phone number or email address for a specific HUD staff member? HUD’s Staff Locator.
- HUD’s Regulations and Policies
- The State of California puts out a guide on tenants and landlords’ rights and responsibilities under state law. Download a copy of the guide: California Tenants Guide.
- Every year the Human Rights/Fair Housing Commission of the City and County of Sacramento put out a handbook that covers fair housing issues and general landlord/tenant rights and responsibilities. The commission also has a hotline you can call with questions. Sacramento Fair Housing Handbook.
Are you in low-income and need some legal help around housing issues? The following agencies provide free legal assistance to eligible people in Central and Northern California.